Passenger Seat Faith & The Trinity

It was such a beautiful Saturday morning I just had to lean my head out the window and soak in the sun. My wife was driving and I could sense a little envy for what she calls being a passenger prince. I call it no stress driving because for me there’s no traffic, no red lights and no pretending I know where we’re going. My attention was on the sun, a good breeze and good vibes. The only thing disturbing my peace was a podcast playing in the background but as I reached to change the station one of the hosts said, “The Trinity just doesn’t make sense.” 

That got my attention. One God and three persons can sound confusing at first and if we’re being real, it can feel like something you’re not supposed to question. But the more I thought about it the more I realized this isn’t about figuring God out on our terms. It’s about understanding what He has already revealed.


The Bible is clear that there’s only one God. Deut 6:4 says “…The Lord our God the Lord is one.” That truth is not up for debate but when you read other verses something else becomes just as clear. John 1:1 says “…the Word was God” and verse 14 shows that the Word is Jesus. Then Hebrews 1:3 says Jesus is the exact imprint of God’s nature. Not similar not close, but exact. In Acts 5:3-4 the Holy Spirit is called God. One God yet the Father is God, the Son is God and the Spirit is God. Not three gods but one.


If you think that’s hard to imagine you’re not alone but scripture doesn’t leave us guessing. There are moments where you see all three at the same time like when Jesus is baptized. He comes up out of the water and the Spirit descends on Him like a dove and the Father speaks from heaven saying “This is my beloved Son” (Matt 3:16-17). Three distinct persons all present at once. Another example is Matthew 28:19 where Jesus tells them to baptize in the “name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.” It doesn’t say names. It says name. One name. One God.


On our way back from sightseeing I thought about being in the passenger seat. I didn’t need to understand every turn on every road because I trusted the one driving. In the same way we may not fully understand everything about God but we can trust what He has revealed about Himself. The Trinity is not a contradiction. It’s a glimpse into how great God truly is. One in being, three in person, fully united never divided, always God. Just like I had peace riding in that seat knowing I was in good hands we can have even greater peace knowing the God we trust is beyond anything we could ever fully comprehend.


Think about it. 

Comments

  1. Good work. It is a little hard to understand the father, the son and the Holy Spirit as being one. Thanks for the clarification.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Do Your Prayers Tell on You?

Tick Tock. Tick Tock