Still A Slave

Today marks the official end of slavery in the U.S. and millions will gather all around the nation. Some will pay tribute to those who struggled to break the chains of bondage while others will lament how much the nation has changed in the slow but steady march towards freedom. There’s nothing more consequential to the core of our being than freedom. So as we mark this momentous occasion I want you to stop and ask yourself why are you still a slave?


Don’t get me wrong. You’re far removed from the days when a master controlled a slave’s every move. I’m quite sure you do exactly what you please and that’s the problem. We’ve perverted the freedom Jesus purchased with his life by the pursuit our worldly desires. Paul warned 

“For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh…” (‭‭Gal 5‬:‭13‬).  There are so many of us who claim to be Christians but we live and look just like the world. 


That’s why I’m imploring, I’m begging our young adults to WAKE UP and realize “everyone who practices sin is a slave to sin” (John 8:34). This verse is an admonition to stop your current lifestyle of partying, drinking and carousing, and having sex outside of marriage. It’s a call to end the constant cussing that so easily falls from your mouth. I know you’ve heard all of this before and you’ll probably just keep on ignoring the fact that you’re an addict. Yes, an addict. Let’s be real; you’re addicted to sin. A prime example is your inability to stop drinking or whatever you’re inhaling into your body and I don’t mean for a few weeks or a couple of months. You definitely won’t stop sleeping with your girlfriend/boyfriend. 


Oh, and let’s not forget about secular music. I know you can’t put it down because you love the glorifying of materialism, sex, and violence. I guarantee you’d lose your mind if you could only listen to gospel music on a long road trip. And for all of you old heads nodding your head in approval, this message is for you too. The only reason I’m not on your street is you’re to set in your ways. You’ve lived a lifestyle of sin for decades and decades and honestly– you don’t want to stop. 


This message may seem rather harsh but it was meant to be jarring. Too many people have allowed you to continue down the path of damnation without saying a word. Worst yet, you’re surrounded by worldly people who invent new ways of sinning and encourage you to continue your sinful lifestyle (Rom 1:30-32). At some point my friend, you’re going to have to admit that your lifestyle controls you and not the other way around. Never forget you’re a slave to whatever has power over you and sin feels like freedom until you try to stop sinning. 


Think about it. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do Your Prayers Tell on You?

Passenger Seat Faith & The Trinity

Tick Tock. Tick Tock