Side Piece
“It’s not you. It’s me,” and with that she got up and walked away. His heart sank and all he could do was stare aimlessly as she left. “What did I do wrong?” He said to himself. “Who was there when she needed money? Me. Who was there when she needed a shoulder to cry on? Me.” The more he thought about it the more he realized he was putting in all the effort and it was never a real relationship. Ironically, this one-sided fling reminds me of a lot of people’s relationship with God.
I’m not calling anyone out except myself. God spent a lot of time in a one-sided relationship with me. Oh, we talked but it was mostly when I needed something. “Lord, if you get me out of this” or “Lord please give me...” was a popular theme of my prayers. That’s whenever I did pray. Days would go by and the Lord wouldn’t hear from me. I knew he was there but I was too busy with my other relationships. You know I had to hangout with my boys. Then there was family time and game time and time for everything else except God. I’m ashamed to say it but I was treating my Lord and savior like a side piece.
Thankfully for me and so many others, God doesn’t break up with us that easily. Even when we cheat on him, God forgives and patiently waits for the attention every good relationship needs. We give our affection to someone else yet God still wakes us up every morning. He pays for every meal and makes sure we’re taken care of yet we still don’t want to commit. God protects and stands up for us against our enemies but we don’t stand up for him. When people attack the sanctity of marriage we just stay silent. When people claim that men can be women and women can be men we stay silent. We’re more concerned with appeasing people than God so we hardly say a word when curse words fly all around us.
So what’s making our relationship with God one-sided? Why is it so hard for us to commit to him? We don’t want to admit it but it’s time to face facts. Our fleshly desires constantly pull us away from God (Rom 8:5-9). Our spirit is always fighting against our flesh (Gal 5:17) and our lifestyles show which side is winning. The only way to fix our commitment issues is to let go of our materialism, sexual desires and whatever else you’re putting before God. We can’t do that by ourselves but we’re not alone.
The Holy Spirit lives within us and he’s the one who gives us the strength to overcome anything and I do mean anything (1 Cor: 9-11). Homosexuality, adultery, partying, drinking/drug abuse, lying, anger– give it all to God and gradually those things will no longer control you. It’s time to move God to the front of our life. It’s time to put our side piece to the side.
Think about it.
Comments
Post a Comment