Thankful
The holiday season is in full swing. We’re just hours away from stuffing ourselves with fried turkey, rica and gravy, candied yams, and mac-n-cheese (let me stop before I start drooling). A lot of us will also take part in the mad frenzy for the best deals, aka Black Friday. With the food, shopping, and joy or pain (depending on your point of view) of spending time with family today it's easy to forget what we should be really thankful for.
I'm not talking about being thankful for all of the stuff we’re buying tomorrow to add to all of the other stuff we have. Nor am I referring to being thankful for our jobs, our homes, cars, or our closet full of clothes. I'm not even referring to your spouse who's there for you through the ups and downs; or your parents who raised and nurtured you. What about your children that you'd do anything for (and they often expect you to) or your friends whom you confide in? Nope.
Of course we should be thankful for our relationships and the many wonderful things God has blessed us to have. But above all else, we should be thankful that our creator, sustainer, comforter, counselor, the everlasting God has given us a gift beyond measure. Our father loves us so much that he sacrificed his perfect son for imperfect people. All the pleasures of this world and all of the things that occupy our time will never compare to the gift of everlasting life.
So today, after you’ve savored that scrumptious Thanksgiving spread, I ask that you add a little something to your post meal routine. Gather everyone around and have each person give a testimony of something God has done. Don’t worry, you don’t have to give a sermon, just be specific about what happened. For example, I’m personally thankful for the time God put it on a nurse’s heart to tell me about a program that allowed me to get an expensive medication I needed. She wasn’t my nurse but overheard Shica and I trying to figure out how to pay for it.
It can be big or small but the point is for everyone to gain a greater gratitude of how God has not only helped you but others as well. It’ll be good practice for that glorious day when Jesus returns and everyday will be a thanksgiving.
Think about it.
Comments
Post a Comment