Write It Down

 I’ve come up with a little challenge that is going to change your life. All you need is a pen and pad... oh, and a little courage. Ready? Here we go. Write down the name of a person or persons who gets on your nerves… someone who you just don’t get along with. Now I know you get along with everyone but really concentrate and  you might be able to come up with someone. Got a name? Good. Now write down what he or she did to you. 

Did they say something hurtful? Write it down. Maybe he/she always ruins your holidays or they lied on you. Write it down. The next part is a little harder because now I want you to think of a person or persons that you have wronged and write down what you did. This is for your eyes only so don’t write down something simple like the time you stepped on the back of their shoe. Think of a person you really slighted. It may be a little painful but it’ll be worth it in the end. 


I’m taking the challenge too and to prove it here’s part of my list. To keep their identity private I didn’t use any names. 


                    Mike’s List

A Person On My Nerves

People I’ve wronged

Someone started drama with someone in my  family.

 I lied to someone to get out of trouble

Someone accused me of being selfish.

I got really angry with someone and said some hurtful things.

Someone went off on me in public.

I belittled someone trying to fit in with everyone else who was making fun of them. 


Once you got your two lists together take a look at the one where you did someone wrong. If there’s any guilt or shame you feel, let it go. God already has. In fact, God gives you a clean slate each day. Opening your eyes each morning is proof of that grace. Did you lie to or on someone? It’s forgiven. Did you cheat or your spouse? Perhaps you sinned against your own body by having sex and you’re not married. It’s forgiven. You can add anything and everything you’ve done on your list with the peace of knowing all of it has been erased by Jesus’ sacrifice for you (1John 1:9).


Now it’s time to share the joy of forgiveness. Reach out to the person or persons on your “People I’ve Wronged” list. Let them know how you feel. Keep in mind this is not about payback or you putting someone in their place. You’re communicating with love and patience. Acknowledge any part you had in the situation. You may not have started the conflict but your reactions might have made it worse.  


One of the best parts about this challenge is that it helps you just as much as the person you’re forgiving. Oh,I almost forgot, the only way God will erase your list of wrongs is to erase the list of the people who have wronged you (Matt 6:15).


Think about it. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do Your Prayers Tell on You?

Passenger Seat Faith & The Trinity

Tick Tock. Tick Tock